Sunday 9 September 2012

McCall's 6503

I have finished it at last!  I've been doing a little bit at a time, mostly in the evenings, and am now hoping that the sun comes out so that I can justify wearing a summer dress - as you can see I've opted for the dark tights today, as it is grey and overcast again here in Scotland.


   From this...             to this!

Apart from a few alterations to the bust and the hem and a bit of "dressmakers knowhow" when it came to interpreting the sparse pattern instructions, I am pretty happy with McCall's 6503. I had earmarked this pattern to create 2 dresses but think I'll use the other floral for something else, and the next time I use this pattern it will be with a plain fabric so that the style lines are easier to see. It's a lovely pattern, and I think it will stand the test of time. Below is my full pattern review that I wrote for a Sewing Patterns website.

Pattern Sizing:
Multi sized pattern, I used the largest: 22
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I originally tried to do view c with the ruffle, but unfortunately I sewed the staystitch too close to the edge instead of at the 5/8 mark, which meant the ruffle didn't straighten out to be long enough for the collar. So I binned it and just went with view d instead.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
No, I don't think so. At one stage, they've even left out the "stitch" instruction! The envelope says it's an easy project so I would have expected clearer and even more detailed instructions, but this was not the case unfortunately. But as long as you've sewn a few dresses or blouses I think you will manage the sparse instructions.
Fabric Used:
Rayon in a floral print
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I did view d but used the view c gathered skirt instead of the 4 pleats one.  I also added 2" to the hem, as I am 5'7" and this would have been above the knee, which is too short for me. My final alteration was the bust. It was just too low and also too much fabric in the centre, so I unpicked the part where the button band goes into the midriff band and just pulled the button neckband down about 2" down behind the midriff band. This pulled the button neckband more taut against my body and meant it wasn't as revealing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew this again, with the alterations I've made and would like to do it with a plain fabric so that the lovely style lines are more visible.
Conclusion:
Do try this dress if you're after a relaxed dress that would travel well.

Thanks so much for visiting my little Blog.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is lovely! Great fabric choice. I've been wanting to try this one out and I think you just pushed it to the front of the queue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You should definitely try it, it's really comfy and easy to wear and it makes me feel slimmer too.

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely dress. Nice job. I'll have to take a look at that pattern. g

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty dress, and it looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you change the collar at all? The V seems to be deeper on the pattern but I like how your dress looks, with a more shallow V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Yes I did alter the neckline. I made it up as the pattern suggested, but when I tried it on, the part where the buttons are just ballooned out in front, like a big pouch. So all I did was unpick the midriff band about 5" along the top of the front waist band, then tucked the buttoned neckline inside the waistband. Then just handstitched it closed again. After that, the neckline sits better right up against my chest. I did have to move the buttons up and onto the curved part of the neckline, which does make the V smaller. The buttons were repositioned as decoration only (I didn't do buttonholes as the side zip is ample space to get the dress on and off). Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the feedback!

      Delete
  5. Really lovely and very helpful review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...