Sunday 24 March 2013

My Very Own Lunch Bag

I recently fell in love with a few small pieces of fabric  called fat quarters, and I didn't really know what I was going to do with them, I just knew they had to be mine.  (Fat quarters are squares of fabric that are roughly a quarter of a metre square)
Then I received a link from fellow sewing blogger gMarie and knew immediately that this project would definitely allow my new little pieces of fabric to sing!

Lunch bag Tutorial from Ayumi at the Pink Penguin.

Ayumi's tutorial is a lunch bag that is just the right shape to hold those small, square lunch boxes with all the little compartments inside them (Bento Boxes).  It could be used for other things too of course - holding a hand stitching or crafty project, a little person's bag of treasures, to pop into your bicycle basket when cycling down to the village...etc.
But My Very Own Lunch Bag will be used for taking my (healthy) lunch to work.  And here it is!
Yay!  I found a use for those lovely vintage ladies as well as the Kaffe Fassett cabbage fabric on the handles.
It took about a half hour of careful cutting with my rotary cutter to get all the pieces ready, then it took a couple of hours following Ayumi's tutorial step-by-step to create my very own lunch bag.  I am confident that it would take far less time if I were to do it again.
The bag has a drawstring cover to keep dust out
and would keep my lunch from falling out,
 if I tip the bag over in transit.

Hope you can read the novelty ribbon in this photo.  Such fun!
This photo also shows my one mistake - a little inserted pleat because I didn't pin.
Here is the second one I have made - this one will be a gift.

Do you ever find you just HAVE to add one of these small pieces of fabric to your shopping basket?

10 comments:

  1. Oh Nessa! This is lovely. I really need to make this little bag, but so far, I haven't yours is fantastic and might be just the encouragment I need. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. Just having to have those little bits of fabric is what I spent most of my money on at the Quilt show last month!

    This is lovely and I LOVE those vintage ladies! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My!! I just Love it...what a fantastic idea for that fabulous fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so fantastic! The fabric you used and especially the ribbon - I just love it all! I tend to stay away from fat quarters because I never know what to make (and I'm afraid I'll need more fabric and not have any!) but you may have just inspired me to get on it and make something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this bag! Especially the ribbon - nice choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I have a large stash of fat quarters, I am particularly susceptible to those that come in bundles of 4. But your bag is absolutely lovely and a perfect excuse to buy even more fat quarters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just love this! What a lovely way to use those special pieces - the vintage ladies are a delight :) And the ribbon - perfect touch! Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love it! I've been looking at that fabric on etsy and I think I'm just going to have to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice bag...........Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...