Sunday 15 December 2013

Hand sewing is perfect in Winter

At long last, I finally got going on my applique quilt again.  I have been at a standstill on this project for months, putting off doing this house shape, mostly because the size of the fabric pieces were larger than I am used to managing in my lap.  I would love to say that I have finished the entire quilt, but alas this is only one block.



But at last this central block is finished, and measures 20" x 20".
This square will eventually be the centre square of a nine square garden-themed quilt.  The pattern design is by Anni Downs, an Australian quilter who has a sweet blog and business called Hatched and Patched.
Below are the five squares I have completed so far.  Five down, four to go!
It is quite a naive style that I am usually not drawn towards, but for some reason I kept coming back to this patchwork garden idea and decided I would personalise a few of the features to match our own garden.  If you are interested you can read about the making of the other parts of this quilt here.

she can quilt
Linking up with Finish-A-Long
 I was being a little hopeful and unrealistic to think that I would be able to finish all five remaining blocks before the end of the year.  But I am very pleased that I was finally able to finish this block at all, as it was somehow blocking my way forward and I just couldn't get started on it.  Thanks to posting this as a Finish-A-Long goal, I was at last able to smash through the stumbling block and am now confident that the next four blocks will get done very soon.
Not sure if this counts as completing my pie-in-the-sky goal, but I am pleased I have made some headway!

14 comments:

  1. Oh Nessa - I think it's lovely. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely nessa. Are you planning to finish this winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I'll finish it this winter, but I should get a lot more done now that our evenings are so dark and cold.

      Delete
  3. It is very lovely. Not my typical style or colours - but it has a very soft and pretty feel to it. I think it will be a stunning quilt. Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I normally wouldn't like this style or colour either, but you're right, maybe it was the soft, feminine quality of the pattern that drew me in, as well as the garden theme. Thanks for your kind words Julie!

      Delete
  4. It is really lovely and the colours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks so far are gorgeous!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not really 'me' either, colour wise, but the shapes are fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The square is so beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished quilt - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I can't wait to see it all finished up too.

      Delete
  8. The designs are all so sweet, and I love your idea of personalising them to reflect your own garden. Lots of happy evening hours there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Danielle. There is even a rabbit in the design that I am going to alter to become one of our cats instead!

      Delete
  9. I love your garden quilt. The stitching on the gate is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you to get past the sticking point. This quilt is going to be so pretty when it is all done, I look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a message, but I have now had to stop messages due to rude spam.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...